Re: good sql tutorial - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Scott Marlowe
Subject Re: good sql tutorial
Date
List pgsql-general
On 10/4/07, Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> wrote:

> On 10/04/07 11:06, Geoffrey wrote:
> > Ron Johnson wrote:

> >> My suggestion: tell him that the SQL interface is "broken".
> >
> > Then we have to write the reports for him, which is what we are trying
> > to get away from.
>
> You'll see his SQL, squeal like a girl and then forbid him from ever
> touching the database again.  I'm just saving you the intermediary
> steps.

Well, do what I do.  set up a slony replicant for the marketeers to
work on.  That way no matter how badly they beat it up, the people who
work on the real db server aren't likely to notice.

That and teach a short tutorial class on SQL And set theory.  You'd be
surprised how much non-db people can soak up from that and a good set
of examples.