Re: Save MySQL? HA - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Peter Geoghegan
Subject Re: Save MySQL? HA
Date
List pgsql-general
Andrew,

I don't think it's becoming of the Postgres community to gloat about
this. Your contention that MySQL will "get flushed down the drain"
sounds almost as misguided as Monty's contention that Oracle will
divest in, and ultimately somehow "kill" MySQL as a means of cornering
the RDBMS market.

The reason that MySQL can boast having so many installs is because it
is used in shared hosting shops around the world. I really strongly
doubt that Oracle are entertaining the idea of moving those sorts of
MySQL users (i.e. the majority) over to Oracle database - they want to
find a way to extract money from them, if that's possible. They
certainly won't have a monopoly on supporting MySQL that they can use
as leverage. Even if Oracle *could* somehow kill MySQL, I think it's
extremely unlikely that they'd be the beneficiary, and they know it. I
say this as someone who is largely indifferent to what happens to
MySQL, beyond the ramifications for PostgreSQL.

Regards,
Peter Geoghegan