Re: Code of Conduct plan - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: Code of Conduct plan
Date
List pgsql-general
On 06/05/2018 08:19 AM, Lutz Horn wrote:
> Am 05.06.2018 17:03 schrieb Chris Travers:
>> On to the code of conduct committee:
>>
>> This needs to be explicitly international and ideally people from very
>> different cultures.  This is the best protection against one small group
>> within one country deciding to push a political agenda via the Code of
>> Conduct.  I would recommend adding a note here that the committee will be
>> international and culturally diverse, and tasked with keeping the
>> peace and
>> facilitating a productive and collegial environment.
>
> I strongly agree with this.
>
> CoCs discussed in other projects have an inclination towards US view
> points. Maybe the reason for this is that many community members are US
> residents and are having the problems of their society in mind when
> thinking of what a CoC should be. But what is acceptable in the US might
> be unacceptable in other parts of the world and vice versa.
>
> Please procure that the CoC is not a vehicle to propagate US values.

Let's remember that we are an International project and let's not direct
particular frustration at any particular set of values. It would be very
easy to start a culture war within this thread alone.

JD

***  A fault and talent of mine is to tell it exactly how it is.  ***
PostgreSQL centered full stack support, consulting and development.
Advocate: @amplifypostgres || Learn: https://postgresconf.org
*****     Unless otherwise stated, opinions are my own.   *****