WALL on controller without battery? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Francisco Reyes
Subject WALL on controller without battery?
Date
List pgsql-performance
Setting spec for a postgresql server.
The hard drive distribution is going to be
8 x 750GB Seagate on a 3ware 9650SE RAID 6
2 x 160GB Seagate on a 3ware 2 port

The question is, would I be better off putting WAL on the second, OS,
controller or in the 8 port controller? Specially since the 2 port will not
have battery (3ware does not have 2 ports with battery).
The two port controller is primary for the operating system, but I was
wondering if there would be any benefit to putting WAL on that 2 port
controller.

The machine will have 8Gb of RAM and will be running Postgresql 8.2 on
FreeBSD 6.2 Stable.

During peak operation there will be about 5 to 20 updates per second with a
handfull of reads.