Re: Database size - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Francisco Reyes
Subject Re: Database size
Date
List pgsql-performance
choksi writes:

> I had a database which uses to hold some 50 Mill records and disk
> space used was 103 GB. I deleted around 34 Mill records but still the
> disk size is same. Can some on please shed some light on this.

When records are deleted they are only marked in the database.
When you run vacuum in the database that space will be marked so new data
can use the space.

To lower the space used you need to run "vacuum full".
That however can take a while and I think it will lock the database for
some operations.