Re: Replication - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Gábriel Ákos
Subject Re: Replication
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Thu, 14 Jun 2007 17:38:01 -0700
Craig James <craig_james@emolecules.com> wrote:

> I would consider PGCluster, but it seems to be a patch to Postgres
> itself.  I'm reluctant to introduce such a major piece of technology

Yes it is. For most of the time it is not very much behind actual
versions of postgresql. The project's biggest drawbacks, as I see:

- horrible documentation
- changing configuration without any warning/help to the "user"
(as far as there are only "rc"-s, I can't really blame the
developers for that... :) )

- there are only "rc" -s, no "stable" version available for current
postgresql releases.

I think this project needs someone speaking english very well, and
having the time and will to coordinate and document all the code that
is written. Otherwise the idea and the solution seems to be very good.
If someone - with big luck and lot of try-fail efforts - sets up a
working system, then it will be stable and working for long time.

> into our entire system, when only one tiny part of it needs the
> replication service.
>
> Thanks,
> Craig

Rgds,