Re: As a Linux distro, how to package multiple postgres major versions? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Chocimier
Subject Re: As a Linux distro, how to package multiple postgres major versions?
Date
List pgsql-general
Hello,

I left process as described in previous message.

That's after people on irc confirmed that using libpq across versions is fine,
and realizing that libpq is just a client to talk to server, and doesn't
implement other server functionality.

W dniu 25.11.2021 o 21:17, Laurent FAILLIE pisze:
> Hello,
>
> Which distribution are you speaking about ?

> When you're upgrading your system, all supported version are rebuilt every time a dependencies change

Void Linux, a binary distribution. Packages are rebuild here only on shlib changes, not after every dependency update,
intrust to library developers keeping compatibility otherwise, so far with good outcome.

Switching versions is not yet enabled for postgres, but planned on next update.

Thanks for tips!