Re: PostgreSQL website translations - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Adrian Maier
Subject Re: PostgreSQL website translations
Date
List pgsql-www
On Sun, Mar 9, 2008 at 1:00 PM, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:

>  > Despite the lack of answer, I think there is interest in translating the
>  > website. But there's a few things to do before adding the translation. I
>  > need to remember what Magnus told me about this last november :) ( ...
>  > if I remember well, I had to find some way to figure out if pages are
>  > out of date and if possible show the english page if the translated page
>  > is out of date ... something like this but Magnus will correct me if I'm
>  > wrong). Oh, and the pictures need to be "translatable" too.
>
>  My apologies for not responding to this one earlier. It's certainly bee
>  on my list to do.
>
>  I think what we really need before we can proceed properly with this is
>  a "www code hacker" who can work the translation code. Not just a
>  translator (don't get me wrong, we need a bunch of translators as well
>  of course). Someone who can basically take responsibility for fixing up
>  the code to work with the translations. There are a lot of small things
>  broken in it AFAIK, and they need to be fixed. Guillaume mentions a
>  couple of them, I think there are a few more. And some sections just
>  don't have translatability implemented (yet).
>
>  There's no rocket science level code in the website, but said someone
>  certainly needs to have a fairly good grasp of PHP and of coding in
>  general. And most important - needs to have time to work on it.
>
>  As usual, this is best done in an incremental fashion rather than
>  dumping a mega-patch in there - it'll be much more likely to be reviewed
>  and applied quickly then.
>
>  But in the end, I think there is certainly interest in doing it. The
>  reason the "current web team" is a bit slow on this is that we don't
>  have what it takes to maintain such things once they are in right now -
>  which is why we need someone to step up for the long term there. (IMO,
>  of course, other members of the team may disagree on this, but I don't
>  think they do)

Shame I didn't know 6 months ago that there are little chances to
have a translation accepted before certain things are adjusted in
the web infrastructure first :  i had plenty of time last autumn and
winter. And instead of translating the already outdated pages and
receiving no feedback I could have digged into the PHP parts of
the site ...

Starting from 24 march i'm changing the job,  so it's hard to predict
how much spare time shall I have.  How many hours per week do you
think someone would need for taking care of the translation-related
issues of the website ?

Perhaps it would be useful to have the things that need to be fixed
added on Trac ?

--
Adrian Maier