Re: postgres feature matrix - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Jonathan S. Katz
Subject Re: postgres feature matrix
Date
Re: postgres feature matrix  (Justin Pryzby <pryzby@telsasoft.com>)
List pgsql-www
On 2/10/20 12:39 PM, Justin Pryzby wrote:

>> Additionally, while I wholly support the effort of patch authors (for
>> fairly obvious reasons :) the feature matrix may not be the best place
>> for that. The typical user coming to the feature matrix is trying to get
>> a better understanding of what PostgreSQL offers; the returning user is
>> trying to understand the differences between the major versions when
>> making the calculus to upgrade.
>
> FWIW, I was going to link to the feature matrix just now in a conversation on
> the -perform list regarding partition pruning, rather than make up my own
> description of the patch.

Please feel free to use my own made up description of the patch:

https://www.postgresql.org/about/featurematrix/detail/332/

Interestingly, after my whole analysis above, I found was I able to
codify the PG12 enhancements into the performance area earlier, which i
had missed given the still large size of the "performance" category:

https://www.postgresql.org/about/featurematrix/detail/320/

which now reviewing the titles of both sections, it seems like it needs
a tweak, but perhaps after the next holistic review of the feature
matrix and during a week that's not release week :)

> Also, it would be sometimes useful to have <a>(nchor) tags for each item:
> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/11/release-11.html
>
> I wonder what it would take to make GIT hashes visible in the HTML (probably as
> an HTML comment).

IIRC believe this is what Alvaro's change enabled, and it is on the ever
growing backlog, which per some sidebars, I'm aiming to start tackling
my bits in the near future.

Thanks,

Jonathan

Attachment