Re: postgres feature matrix - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Justin Pryzby
Subject Re: postgres feature matrix
Date
List pgsql-www
On Mon, Feb 10, 2020 at 12:22:38PM -0500, Jonathan S. Katz wrote:
> > Also, it'd be nice if the author's names were included at these pages:
> > https://www.postgresql.org/about/featurematrix/detail/249/

> This is not a bad idea, however we would need to ensure this is applied
> consistently. The original (and still used) feature matrix code allows
> you to pass in a URL directly to the documentation directly, which, if
> present, brings the user directly to the documentation. The authors of
> features in that regard would not be recognized, unless we remove that
> functionality.

Or unless author's were stored separately from the link.  But I agree there
doesn't seem to be a good place to display that, which makes it pointless,
especially if it's available somewhere else.

> Additionally, while I wholly support the effort of patch authors (for
> fairly obvious reasons :) the feature matrix may not be the best place
> for that. The typical user coming to the feature matrix is trying to get
> a better understanding of what PostgreSQL offers; the returning user is
> trying to understand the differences between the major versions when
> making the calculus to upgrade.

FWIW, I was going to link to the feature matrix just now in a conversation on
the -perform list regarding partition pruning, rather than make up my own
description of the patch.

Also, it would be sometimes useful to have <a>(nchor) tags for each item:
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/11/release-11.html

I wonder what it would take to make GIT hashes visible in the HTML (probably as
an HTML comment).

Thanks,
Justin