Re: Compared MS SQL 2000 to Postgresql 9.0 on Windows - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Tom Polak
Subject Re: Compared MS SQL 2000 to Postgresql 9.0 on Windows
Date
List pgsql-performance
>The real answer here is that anything could be true for your workload,
and >asking people on a mailing list to guess is a recipe for
disappointment.  >You probably need to do some real benchmarking, and
PostgreSQL will be >slower at first, and you'll tune it, and it's LIKELY
that you'll be able to >achieve parity, or close enough that it's worth it
to save the $$$.  But >you won't really know until you try it, I think.

That is what I am really after.  I know that it will be a lot of work, but
at $15,000 for MSSQL server that is a lot of man hours.  Before I invest a
lot of time to do some real benchmarking I need to make sure it would be
worth my time.  I realize going into this that we will need to change
almost everything expect maybe the simplest Select statements.

> How big is your data set and how big is your working set?
> Do you have a raid card? Is it properly configured?

The data set can get large.  Just think of a real estate listing.  When we
display a Full View, EVERYTHING must be pulled from the database.
Sometimes we are talking about 75-100 fields if not more.  We can have up
to 300 members logged (we usually peak at about 30-50 requests per second)
in the system at one time doing various tasks.

The servers would be running on a RAID hardware solution, so it would all
be offloaded from the CPU.  I will have to check out RAID 10 for the next
server.

Thanks for all your help and opinions.

Thanks,
Tom Polak
Rockford Area Association of Realtors

The information contained in this email message is intended only for the
use of the individual or entity named.  If the reader of this email is not
the intended recipient or the employee or agent responsible for delivering
it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any
dissemination, distribution or copying of this email is strictly
prohibited.  If you have received this email in error, please immediately
notify us by telephone and reply email.  Thank you.

Although this email and any attachments are believed to be free of any
viruses or other defects that might affect any computer system into which
it is received and opened, it is the responsibility of the recipient to
ensure that it is free of viruses, and the Rockford Area Association of
Realtors hereby disclaims any liability for any loss or damage that
results.