Re: postgres performance tunning - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Merlin Moncure
Subject Re: postgres performance tunning
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Thu, Dec 16, 2010 at 7:33 AM, selvi88 <selvi.dct@gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear Friends,
>        I have a requirement for running more that 15000 queries per second.
> Can you please tell what all are the postgres parameters needs to be changed
> to achieve this.
>        Already I have 17GB RAM and dual core processor and this machine is
> dedicated for database operation.

15k tps is doable on cheap hardware if they are read only, and
trivial.   if you are writing, you are going to need some fancy
storage.  each disk drive can do about 100-300 tps depending on the
speed of the drive and other factors (you can enhance this
significantly by relaxing sync requirements).  a single dual core is
not going to cut it though -- you should bank on 4 cores at least.

please describe the problem you are trying to solve in more detail.
15k tps can be trivially done, or could require a massive engineering
effort.  it really depends on what you are trying to do.

merlin