Re: Table Spaces - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Thomas Hallgren
Subject Re: Table Spaces
Date
List pgsql-hackers
"Manfred Spraul" <manfred@colorfullife.com> wrote in message
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
> >The only downside to removal is that folks without symlinks (I believe
> >Win32 only) will loose that functionality with nothing to replace it.
> >However, I think the clarity of removing it is worth it.  Also, I think
> >someone had a special way to do symlinks on Win32 and we should look
> >into that.
> >

> Windows 2000 and later support mount points - you can attach a new
> partition as C:\pgsql\data\xlog instead of D:\. That might be enough for
> most users. IIRC there was a tool to create arbitrary links, but it was
> removed just before W2K final.

If you run NTFS, it's still possible to use arbitrary links. In the Windows
world, they are called junctions. Microsoft does not provide a junction tool
for some reason (perhaps because it's limited to NTFS). A good tool, free
and with source, can be found here
http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/source/misc.shtml#junction I use this tool
myself. Works like a charm.

Kind regards,