Re: Certification Available +Pronounce - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Brian Kilpatrick
Subject Re: Certification Available +Pronounce
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
I want to chime in a bit here, and just perhaps add a few things and
repeat a few thing, perhaps.

I have been though a couple of IT training classes and certs in the
day. And at the end of the day a lot of the reasons that certs exist
are not due to the lack of technical ability of the people (as the
postgres community clearly shows), but from a PHB management POV its a
psychological thing. In the beginning a certification value is that of
soothing the nerves of people as to have some kind of 'proof' that at
least someone else claims a person can at least pass an exam.

Later on as the field spreads out, a good training program and valid
cert will help bring others in from associated fields and lend
credibility. Credibility begats acceptance, acceptance begats usage,
usage begats jobs; and so on. There are things to shake out along the
way, but in the long run, having training and certification for the
purpose of building a qualified group of people is the right way to go.

As an aside, having been a computer/network tech for 10+ years, I have
studied for the A+ exam, and never taken it. I found the sample tests
to be filled with 'useless' reference material, and not very helpful
for actual real world issues. There is a reason why there are reference
manuals, so you dont have to memorize infrequently used minutia.

Brian