Re: Allowing to create LEAKPROOF functions to non-superuser - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tomas Vondra
Subject Re: Allowing to create LEAKPROOF functions to non-superuser
Date
Re: Allowing to create LEAKPROOF functions to non-superuser  (Andrey Borodin <x4mmm@yandex-team.ru>)
List pgsql-hackers
On 4/12/21 10:37 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
> Andrey Borodin <x4mmm@yandex-team.ru> writes:
>> Currently only superuser is allowed to create LEAKPROOF functions
>> because leakproof functions can see tuples which have not yet been
>> filtered out by security barrier views or row level security
>> policies.
>
> Yeah.
>
>> But managed cloud services typically do not provide superuser
>> roles.
>
> This is not a good argument for relaxing superuser requirements.

I guess for the cloud services it's not an issue - they're mostly
concerned about manageability and restricting access to the OS. It's
unfortunate that we tie the this capability to being superuser, so maybe
the right solution would be to introduce a separate role with this
privilege?

regards

--
Tomas Vondra