PostgreSQL 12 Press Release - First Draft - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Jonathan S. Katz
Subject PostgreSQL 12 Press Release - First Draft
Date
Re: PostgreSQL 12 Press Release - First Draft
List pgsql-advocacy
Hi,

Attached is a first draft of the press release for PostgreSQL 12.
Feedback welcome (more below), though I ask feedback to be provided no
later than September 6, 2019.

A few comments for context:

Using the release notes[1], 12 beta 1 release[2], and miscellaneous
feedback as a guide, there seemed to be roughly five major feature groups:

- Overall Performance Improvements (focuses on the indexing +
partitioning work, MCV stats)
- Enhancements to SQL Conformance & Functionality (SQL/JSON, inlined
CTEs, generated columns)
- Internationalization (ICU case insensitivity)
- Authentication (GSSAPI encryption, LDAP discovery, clientcert=verify-full)
- Administrative (REINDEX CONCURRENTLY, pg_checksums)

I mentioned  pluggable storage interface in it but did not elaborate in
too much detail. I am a huge fan of this effort, but for the typical
PG12 user, we may not want to elaborate too much on it in the general
press release.

Feedback I'm looking for:

- Grammar / typos / awkward wording (I did already catch "party of a
query" :)
- Checks for technical accuracy
- Glaring feature omissions
- Features that should be downplayed