PostGreSQL (7.3?) recovery, Mac OS X (10.3.8) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Eric D. Nielsen
Subject PostGreSQL (7.3?) recovery, Mac OS X (10.3.8)
Date
Re: PostGreSQL (7.3?) recovery, Mac OS X (10.3.8)  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-general
After an extended vacation from development activities on my computer,
I tried to get back to work, but the PostGreSQL backend was no longer
running.  (Normally its part of my startup scripts.)

I tried su'ing over to postgres and running pg_ctl start.  No luck,
seems like it lost the path.  Type the full path /usr/local/bin/pg_ctrl
start, complains about missing PGDATA.  Looks like all the environment
variables are gone.  (I had read that 10.3 had some issues with shared
memory, but this seems unusual? )  Providing the full path to the data
directory

/usr/local/bin/pg_ctl -D /usr/local/pgsql/data start
LOG:  database system shutdown was interrupted at 2005-04-12 20:11:05
EDT
LOG:  checkpoint record is at 0/2363FC0
LOG:  redo record is at 0/2363FC0; undo record is at 0/0; shutdown TRUE
LOG:  next transaction id: 38330; next oid: 36038
LOG:  database system was not properly shut down; automatic recovery in
progress
LOG:  ReadRecord: unexpected pageaddr 0/364000 in log file 0, segment
2, offset 3555328
LOG:  redo is not required
PANIC:  XLogWrite: write request 0/2364000 is past end of log 0/2364000
LOG:  startup process (pid 784) was terminated by signal 6
LOG:  aborting startup due to startup process failure

The startup fails.  The timestamp on the first log appears to be during
the boot process of the computer.

PG_VERSION reports 7.3.  This is just a "play" database that I use for
random testing.  I believe its the version that came with the
PowerBook, unless its been updated by "Software Update", which I would
doubt.  I believe I last used the database back around January.

I believe everything of "use" was already migrated a beta server;
however I would like to attempt any sort of recovery possible first, if
possible.  What should I do next?

Eric