Re: Pipelined functions in Postgres - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Shoaib Mir
Subject Re: Pipelined functions in Postgres
Date
List pgsql-performance
I think pipelined functions are code you can pretend is a database table.

For example you can do it like this in Oracle:

select * from PLSQL_FUNCTION;

You can achieve something similar in PostgreSQL using RETURN SETOF functions like this:

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION test_pipe (int)
    RETURNS SETOF RECORD AS
$$
DECLARE
    v_rec    RECORD;
BEGIN
    FOR temp_rec IN (SELECT col FROM table where col > 10)
    LOOP
        RETURN NEXT v_rec;
    END LOOP;
    RETURN;
END;
$$ LANGUAGE plpgsql;

This function can be called like this:

SELECT * FROM test_pipe(10) AS tbl (col int);

Hope this helps...

Thanks,
--
Shoaib Mir