Re: Pipelined functions in Postgres - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Milen Kulev
Subject Re: Pipelined functions in Postgres
Date
Re: Pipelined functions in Postgres
List pgsql-performance
Hello Shoaib,
I know the SETOF funcitons. I want to  simulate (somehow) producer/consumer relationship with SETOF(pipelined) functions.  The first  (producer )function generates records (just like your test_pipe function), and the second function consumers the records , produced by the first function. The second function can be rows/records producer for another consumer functions e.g. it should looks like(or similar)
select * from consumer_function(  producer_function(param1, param2, ...));

What I want to achieve is to impelement some ETL logic in consumer_functions (they could be chained, of course).
The main idea is to read source  DWH tables once (in  producer_function, for example), and to process the rowsets
in the consumer functions. I want to avoid writing to intermediate tables while performing ETL processing .
Is this possible with SETOF functions ?

Best Regards
Milen
-----Original Message-----
From: pgsql-performance-owner@postgresql.org [mailto:pgsql-performance-owner@postgresql.org] On Behalf Of Shoaib Mir
Sent: Tuesday, September 19, 2006 11:05 PM
To: Milen Kulev
Cc: pgsql-performance@postgresql.org
Subject: Re: [PERFORM] Pipelined functions in Postgres

I think pipelined functions are code you can pretend is a database table.

For example you can do it like this in Oracle:

select * from PLSQL_FUNCTION;

You can achieve something similar in PostgreSQL using RETURN SETOF functions like this:

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION test_pipe (int)
    RETURNS SETOF RECORD AS
$$
DECLARE
    v_rec    RECORD;
BEGIN
    FOR temp_rec IN (SELECT col FROM table where col > 10)
    LOOP
        RETURN NEXT v_rec;
    END LOOP;
    RETURN;
END;
$$ LANGUAGE plpgsql;

This function can be called like this:

SELECT * FROM test_pipe(10) AS tbl (col int);

Hope this helps...

Thanks,
--
Shoaib Mir