Re: Optimal settings for RAID controller - optimized for writes - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Tomas Vondra
Subject Re: Optimal settings for RAID controller - optimized for writes
Date
List pgsql-performance
The thing is, it's difficult to transfer these experiences without clear
idea of the workloads.

For example I wouldn't say 200 updates / second is a write-heavy workload.
A single 15k drive should handle that just fine, assuming the data fit
into RAM (which seems to be the case, but maybe I got that wrong).

Niels, what amounts of data are we talking about? What is the total
database size? How much data are you updating? Are those updates random,
or are you updating a lot of data in a sequential manner? How did you
determine UPDATEs are the bottleneck?

Tomas