Re: Commit fest 2022-11 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jacob Champion
Subject Re: Commit fest 2022-11
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 11/3/22 22:18, Ian Lawrence Barwick wrote:
> 2022年11月4日(金) 10:23 Ian Lawrence Barwick <barwick@gmail.com
> <mailto:barwick@gmail.com>>:
>> 2022年11月4日(金) 9:43 Justin Pryzby <pryzby@telsasoft.com
> <mailto:pryzby@telsasoft.com>>:
>> > If I'm not wrong, Jacob used the CF app to bulk-mail people about
>> > patches not applying and similar things.  That seemed to work well, and
>> > doesn't require sending mails to dozens of threads.
>>
>> I don't see anything like that in the CF app (though I may be looking in the
>> wrong place).

I just used the "email author" checkboxes.

>> I also don't see how it would be possible to filter on patches
>> not applying in cbfot, as AFAICT the former is not aware of the latter.

That was the hard part. I ended up manually merging the two pages locally.

> Also, having gone through all the cfbot items with non-applying
> patches (single red "X"), sending a reminder without checking
> further doesn't seem the right thing tod do - in two cases the patch
> was not applying because it had already been committed, and with
> another the consensus was to return it with feedback. With others,
> it's obvious the threads were recently active and I don't think a
> reminder is necessary right now.

True. One nice thing about the author-only email is that, as long as you
don't send reminders too often (I think there'd been talk before of
once, maximum twice, per CF?) then if an author feels there's no reason
to take action, they don't have to. That low-effort strategy also scales
a bit better than making a CFM scan manually, and it's a bit closer in
my opinion to the automated reminder feature that's been requested
frequently.

> There is an option for each entry to send an email from the CF app, but it comes
> with a note "Please ensure that the email settings for your domain (DKIM, SPF)
> allow emails from external sources." which I fear would lead to email
> delivery issues.

I know some of my bulk emails were delivered to spam folders, so it is a
fair concern.

--Jacob