Re: Splitting queries across servers - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Mike Rylander
Subject Re: Splitting queries across servers
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 20:17:29 -0800, Max <maxdl@adelphia.net> wrote:

> > With a Quad Opteron (4 memory slots per CPU), you could put 64GB of RAM
> > onto a single machine using 4GB DIMMs in every slot.
>
> We were talking about a similar solution today, but not quite as good as
> this. You really got me thinking now. 64Gb.. hm that would solve many
> issues. what do you think the cost would be for such a beast ? Any idea ?

Depending on the vendor and the storage subsystem, between $20k and
$50k, and if you start with less memory it will be much less.  I can
attest to the fact that 4 x Opterons work VERY nicely. ;)

--
Mike Rylander
mrylander@gmail.com