Re: Oracle and Postgresql - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Merlin Moncure
Subject Re: Oracle and Postgresql
Date
List pgsql-general
On Mon, Sep 15, 2008 at 1:10 PM, Martin Gainty <mgainty@hotmail.com> wrote:
> accessing:
> i *thought* the advantage of creating any SQL procedure/function was the
> entity is stored in procedure cache
> load time:
> Java vs C++ compare here
> http://www.idiom.com/~zilla/Computer/javaCbenchmark.html

This is completely off topic as it is, but I can't help it: anyone who
is arguing that Java is faster than C must be oblivious to the fact
that Java internals are *written in C*.  If Java was really faster
than C, it would be self hosting, and we would be writing operating
systems, databases, and various other systems level stuff in Java.
(yes, there are a few well known projects, notably lucene, but that's
the exception rather than the rule).

Anybody making the case that Java is faster than C simply doesn't know
how a computer works.

merlin