Re: Default Performance between 8.0 and 8.1 - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Merlin Moncure
Subject Re: Default Performance between 8.0 and 8.1
Date
List pgsql-performance
On 8/5/07, Ted Jordan <ted@actionstep.com> wrote:
> We currently have some databases running under 8.0 and 8.1.  I have noticed
> a significant difference in the time taken to restore dumps between the two
> versions, with 8.0 being much faster.  For example a dump of a few MB will
> take just seconds to load under 8.0 but the same dump will take several
> minutes to load under 8.1.  Currently we're just using the default parameter
> settings when installed via apt on Ubuntu Linux.

a few seconds to several minutes is not the kind of variance that is
explainable by architecture changes between the versions.  something
is amiss.  'maintenance_work_mem' can make a big difference with data
loads due to faster index builds but even that would not account for
the difference.

are you running locally or remotely?  if running remotely, you might
be seeing some networking/tcp problems.

can you reduce your problem down to a single copy statement for analysis?

merlin