Default Performance between 8.0 and 8.1 - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Ted Jordan
Subject Default Performance between 8.0 and 8.1
Date
List pgsql-performance

Hi

We currently have some databases running under 8.0 and 8.1.  I have noticed a significant difference in the time taken to restore dumps between the two versions, with 8.0 being much faster.  For example a dump of a few MB will take just seconds to load under 8.0 but the same dump will take several minutes to load under 8.1.  Currently we’re just using the default parameter settings when installed via apt on Ubuntu Linux.

I would just like to know if this is a well known issue and if there is a quick fix, or should I be digging deeper and seeing if the default settings are mismatched to certain linux kernel settings etc.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks,

Ted