Re: Performance problem with Sarge compared with Woody - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Merlin Moncure
Subject Re: Performance problem with Sarge compared with Woody
Date
List pgsql-performance
On 9/12/06, Scott Marlowe <smarlowe@g2switchworks.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-09-11 at 20:53, Merlin Moncure wrote:
> > for 3 months I ran a 400M$ manufacturing company's erp off of a
> > pre-beta 8.0 windows pg server converted from cobol using some hacked
> > out c++ middleware.  I remember having to change how the middleware
> > handled transactions when Alvaro changed them to a checkpoint
> > mechanism.  I also remember being relieved when I no longer had to
> > manually edit pg_config.h so nobody would notice they would notice
> > they were running a beta version of postgresql had one of the
> > technical people casually logged into psql.  I scraped out almost
> > completely unscathed except for a nasty crash due to low stack
> > allocation of the compiler on windows.
> >
> > the point of all this? get onto a recent version of postgresql, what
> > could possbily go wrong?
>
> You did notice I mentioned that it would only make sense if they weren't
> going into production right away.  I.e. develop the app while pgdg
> develops the database, and release at about the same time.
>
> I wouldn't put 8.2 into production just yet, but if I had a launch date
> of next spring, I'd certainly consider developing on it now.

right, very good advice :)   I was giving more of a "don't try this at
home" type post.  To the OP, though, I would advise that each version
of PostgreSQL is much faster (sometimes, drastically so).  Once in a
while you get a query that you have to rethink but the engine improves
with each release.

merlin