Re: Warm-Standby using WAL archiving / Seperate pg_restorelog application - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Merlin Moncure
Subject Re: Warm-Standby using WAL archiving / Seperate pg_restorelog application
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 7/10/06, Florian G. Pflug <fgp@phlo.org> wrote:
> This methods seems to work, but it is neither particularly fool-proof nor
> administrator friendly. It's not possible e.g. to reboot the slave without postgres
> abortint the recovery, and therefor processing all wals generated since the last
> backup all over again.
>
> Monitoring this system is hard too, since there is no easy way to detect errors
> while restoring a particular wal.

what I would really like to see is to have the postmaster start up in
a special read only mode where it could auto-restore wal files placed
there by an external process but not generate any of its own.  This
would be a step towards a pitr based simple replication method.

merlin