Re: Linux distro - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Andrej Ricnik-Bay
Subject Re: Linux distro
Date
List pgsql-general
On 8/2/07, Scott Marlowe <scott.marlowe@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > I think most of the virtual memory used by X is actually the map of the
> > > graphics card's memory AFAIK, so it's not as significant as you think.
> > That machine has an on-board chipset (i845) and has only 8MB
> > shared memory allotted to the card ....
> You don't seem familiar with the meaning of VIRT in the memory
> allocation listing there.
That'll be Alvaro, maybe?  I'm quite aware of it, I just pointed out to him
that the VSIZE is NOT the devices memory mapping.

And I still think that running X on a server is unnecessary,
wasteful and potentially harmful.  The less you run, the less
can go wrong, the less potential exploits you have.

Cheers,
Andrej

--
Please don't top post, and don't use HTML e-Mail :}  Make your quotes concise.