Re: Linux distro - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Madison Kelly
Subject Re: Linux distro
Date
List pgsql-general
Ron Johnson wrote:
> Pardon me for being the contrarian, but why does a server need a
> GUI?  Isn't that just extra RAM & CPU overhead that could be more
> profitably put to use powering the application?

What I do is install Gnome, "just in case" I need it for some reason
(ie: opening many terminal windows at a higher res that I can alt+tab
between). Then once the install is done I delete the '/etc/rc2.d/S??gdm'
file, then '/etc/init.d/gdm stop'. Problem solved. :)

This gives me the *option* of using a GUI without it wasting any
resources besides some disk space.

Madi