Re: Postgres and LibreOffice's 'Base' - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Rich Shepard
Subject Re: Postgres and LibreOffice's 'Base'
Date
List pgsql-general
On Sun, 4 Dec 2016, John McKown wrote:

> I'm not really sure what ".. make it an application that my clients can
> use. ..." really means.

John,

   It has to be simple and useful to naive users.

> I guess it means that you have some code for an application (which uses
> PostgreSQL as it's data repository), but it is difficult for many of your
> users to use easily. I also don't know how much effort you want to put
> into this. Would using C++ be acceptable? If so, then perhaps you should
> look at QT from TrollTech. This started out as a cross platform (UNIX,
> Windows, MAC) windowing system which has really grown. https://www.qt.io/
> is a nice site where you can get started. But you would need a commercial
> license if your software is not licensed as "open source".

   I'm familiar with Qt.

> A possible alternative to QT is GTK+ (https://www.gtk.org/)​. It is
> both GPL & LGPL licensed, so you can freely use it in commercial software.

   I migrated from C to Python a number of years ago so I've looked at
Python-based web frameworks (flask, django). I have developed a number of
applications in Python2 using wxPython; writing the UI takes most of the
time. But, I'll look again at the Python3 version called Phoenix and Peewee
(a lighter ORM than SQLAlchemy).

> Sorry if I went off into left field on this.

   That's fine. All ideas are always welcome.

Regards,

Rich