Re: Invoice Table Design - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Rich Shepard
Subject Re: Invoice Table Design
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tue, 29 Nov 2016, btober@computer.org wrote:

> The other bit of experience I'll share is the suggestion that invoicing is
> a situation that lends itself to the uniformly incremented sequence
> pattern. Accountants and comptrollers love this.

   Reading your message brought to mind a suggestion for Rob: look at the
source code for ledger-123 <http://www.ledger123.com/>. It's a fork of
SQL-Ledger which I've used for my business for almost 20 years. It has a
functional invoicing capability and should give you ideas on how to
structure your database and tables.

   I know you'll need customer, invoice, line-item tables at the minimum. But
since I use it only to generate service invoices and post them to accounts
payable I don't know the details of how it works. I do use postgres
(currently -9.6.1) and httpd with it.

HTH,

Rich