Re: Problems With -9.0.1 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Rich Shepard
Subject Re: Problems With -9.0.1
Date
List pgsql-general
On Mon, 20 Dec 2010, Adrian Klaver wrote:

> As I remember it there was more than one version of Postgres on this
> machine. Are you sure you are using the correct postgres binary? While I
> am it is there a reason you are not using the system start scripts or
> pg_ctl:)?

Adrian,

   There _was_ a library not removed when I removed -8.3.3, but that's been
gone a while. This had been running until yesterday when I could not log in
to my accounting software that uses postgres as the back end.

   The reason I don't use /etc/rc.d/rc.postgresql is that it doesn't work.
While it supposedly su's to user postgres, it actually does not do so. Ergo,
nothing starts.

   Looking for running postgres processes I find none:

[root@salmo ~]# ps ax | grep postgres
17168 pts/2    S+     0:00 grep postgres

   And when I try to start the postmaster as user postgres it fails (as
reported in my original message):

postgres@salmo:/home/rshepard$ LOG:  could not open directory
"/share/timezone": No such file or directory
LOG:  could not open directory "/share/timezone": No such file or directory
LOG:  could not open directory "/share/timezone": No such file or directory
LOG:  could not open directory "/share/timezone": No such file or directory
LOG:  could not open directory "/share/timezone": No such file or directory
WARNING:  could not open directory "/share/timezonesets": No such file or
directory
HINT:  This may indicate an incomplete PostgreSQL installation, or that the
file "/bin/postgres" has been moved away from its proper location.
FATAL:  invalid value for parameter "timezone_abbreviations": "Default"

[1]+  Exit 1                  postgres -D /usr/local/pgsql/data

   This has not happened before.

Rich