Re: Vote on Windows installer links - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Greg Smith
Subject Re: Vote on Windows installer links
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Wed, 8 Jul 2009, Simon Riggs wrote:

> Do you think this situation should be changed, if a reasonable
> alternative can be found?

I think a more productive use of everyone's time would be discussing what
that reasonable alternative might look like.  The way this discussion has
wandered into a non-technical popularity contest makes it really moot as
far as I'm concerned.

I do the Windows packaging of Truviso's PostgreSQL release, and just had a
talk recently with Dave Page and some other community members about how
much work goes into the packaging they do there for the Windows PG
releases.  (I'd like to duplicate some of that eventually for our own
product, that's why I'm interested in this topic)

It's a big chunk of time they're basically sponsoring in return for the
associated PR.  Given that some of that is using shared resources also
building EDB's product, they're in a better spot to do that efficiently
than anybody else too.  Unless you've got a plan for how to handle that
work via other community members not associated with EDB, I fail to see
what there is to talk or vote on here.  Do that, and then it's possible to
have an opinion on other options.