Re: Scalability in postgres - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Greg Smith
Subject Re: Scalability in postgres
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Fri, 29 May 2009, Scott Carey wrote:

> There are operations/IT people won't touch Ubuntu etc with a ten foot pole
> yet for production.

The only thing I was suggesting is that because 2.6.28 is the latest
Ubuntu kernel, that means it's gotten a lot more exposure and testing
than, say, other options like 2.6.27 or 2.6.29.

I build a fair number of RedHat/CentOS systems with an upgraded kernel
based on mature releases from kernel.org, and a config as close as
possible to the original RedHat one, with the generic kernel defaults for
all the new settings.  I keep liking that combination better than just
using an Ubuntu version with a newer kernel.  I've seen a couple of odd
kernel setting choices in Ubuntu releases before that motivate that
choice; the scheduler trainwreck described at
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/188226 comes to mind.