Re: autovacuum hung? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: autovacuum hung?
Date
List pgsql-performance
Brian Cox <brian.cox@ca.com> writes:
> autovacuum has been running on 2 tables for > 5 hours. There tables are
> not huge (see below). For the past ~1 hour, I've shut off all other
> activity on this database. The other table being vacuumed has more rows
> (1897810). Anyone have any ideas about why this is taking so long?

Are those processes actually doing anything, or just waiting?  strace
or local equivalent would be the most conclusive check.

> cemdb=# select c.oid,c.relname,l.pid,l.mode,l.granted from pg_class c
> join pg_locks l on c.oid=l.relation order by l.pid;

This query isn't very helpful because it fails to show locks that are
not directly associated with tables.

            regards, tom lane