Re: psql - add SHOW_ALL_RESULTS option - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Fabien COELHO
Subject Re: psql - add SHOW_ALL_RESULTS option
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hello Tom,

> It's right: this is dead code because all paths through the if-nest
> starting at line 1373 now leave results = NULL.  Hence, this patch
> has broken the autocommit logic;

Do you mean yet another feature without a single non-regression test? :-(

I tend to rely on non regression tests to catch bugs in complex
multi-purpose hard-to-maintain functions when the code is modified.

I have submitted a patch to improve psql coverage to about 90%, but given
the lack of enthousiasm, I simply dropped it. Not sure I was right not
to insist.

> it's no longer possible to tell whether we should do anything with our
> savepoint.

> Between this and the known breakage of control-C, it seems clear
> to me that this patch was nowhere near ready for prime time.
> I think shoving it in on the last day before feature freeze was
> ill-advised, and it ought to be reverted.  We can try again later.

The patch has been asleep for quite a while, and was resurrected, possibly
too late in the process. ISTM that fixing it for 14 is manageable,
but this is not my call.

--
Fabien.