Re: pgbench stopped supporting large number of client connections on Windows - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Fabien COELHO
Subject Re: pgbench stopped supporting large number of client connections on Windows
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hello Tom,

>> Use ppoll, and start more threads but not too many?
>
> Does ppoll exist on Windows?

Some g*gling suggest that the answer is no.

> There was a prior thread on this topic, which seems to have drifted off
> into the sunset:

Indeed. I may have contributed to this dwindling by not adding a CF entry
for this thread, so that there was no reminder anywhere.

https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/BL0PR1901MB1985F219C46C61EDE7036C34ED8E0%40BL0PR1901MB1985.namprd19.prod.outlook.com

It seems that there is no simple good solution around windows wait event
implementations:
  - timeout seems to be milliseconds on all things I saw
  - 64 is an intrinsic limit, probably because of the underlying n² implementations

Maybe we could provide a specific windows implementation limited to 64 fd
(which is not a bad thing bench-wise) but with a rounded-down timeout, so
that it could end-up on an activate spinning wait in some cases, which is
probably not a bug issue, all things considered.

--
Fabien.