RE: pgbench: option delaying queries till connections establishment? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Fabien COELHO
Subject RE: pgbench: option delaying queries till connections establishment?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hello,

>> Indeed. I took your next patch with an added explanation. I'm unclear
>> whether proceeding makes much sense though, that is some thread would run
>> the test and other would have aborted. Hmmm.
>
> Your comment looks good, thanks. In the previous version pgbench starts
> benchmarking even if some connections fail. And users can notice the
> connection failure by stderr output. Hence the current specification may
> be enough.

Usually I run many pgbench through scripts, so I'm probably not there to
check a lone stderr failure at the beginning if performance figures are
actually reported.

> If you agree, please remove the following lines:
>
> ```
> +                 * It is unclear whether it is worth doing anything rather than
> +                 * coldly exiting with an error message.
> ```

I can remove the line, but I strongly believe that reporting performance
figures if some client connection failed thus the bench could not run as
prescribed is a bad behavior. The good news is that it is probably quite
unlikely. So I'd prefer to keep it and possibly submit a patch to change
the behavior.

Should be this one: https://commitfest.postgresql.org/30/2624/,

--
Fabien.