Re: BUG #15977: Inconsistent behavior in chained transactions - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Fabien COELHO
Subject Re: BUG #15977: Inconsistent behavior in chained transactions
Date
Re: BUG #15977: Inconsistent behavior in chained transactions  (fn ln <emuser20140816@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-bugs
Hello,

> transaction_read_only must be 'on' because AND CHAIN test sets the
> default_transaction_read_only to 'on'.

> Failure of this test means that the transaction was chained from an
> implicit transaction, which is not our desired behavior. Perhaps you are
> using a wrong binary?

Nope, I blindly assumed that your patch was self contained, but it is not,
and my test did not include the initial fix.

The usual approach is to send self-contained and numbered patches,
eg "chain-fix-1.patch", "chain-fix-2.patch", and so on, unless there are
complex patches designed to be committed in stages.

For the expected result, I was wrongly assuming that "SET TRANSACTION" was
session persistent, which is not the case, there is a "SET SESSION …" for
that. Moreover, the usual transaction default is read-write, so I was a
little surprise. It would help to show the (unusual) current setting
before the test.

I also have registered the patch to the CF app:

     https://commitfest.postgresql.org/24/2265/

But I cannot fill in your name, maybe you could register and add it, or it
can be left blank.

--
Fabien.