Re: psql - add SHOW_ALL_RESULTS option - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Fabien COELHO
Subject Re: psql - add SHOW_ALL_RESULTS option
Date
Re: psql - add SHOW_ALL_RESULTS option  (Fabien COELHO <coelho@cri.ensmp.fr>)
Re: psql - add SHOW_ALL_RESULTS option  (Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota.ntt@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
Hello Kyotaro-san,

>> Attached a v2 for the always-show-all-results variant. Thanks for the
>> debug!
>
> I have some comments on this patch.
>
> I'm +1 for always output all results without having knobs.

That makes 4 opinions expressed towards this change of behavior, and none
against.

> Documentation (psql-ref.sgml) has another place that needs the
> same amendment.

Indeed.

> Looking the output for -t, -0, -A or something like, we might need
> to introduce result-set separator.

Yep, possibly. I'm not sure this is material for this patch, though.

> # -eH looks broken for me but it would be another issue.

It seems to work for me. Could you be more precise about how it is broken?

> Valid setting of FETCH_COUNT disables this feature. I think it is
> unwanted behavior.

Yes and no: this behavior (bug, really) is pre-existing, FETCH_COUNT does
not work with combined queries:

   sh> /usr/bin/psql
   psql (12beta2 ...)
   fabien=# \set FETCH_COUNT 2
   fabien=# SELECT 1234 \; SELECT 5432 ;
   fabien=#

   same thing with pg 11.4, and probably down to every version of postgres
   since the feature was implemented...

I think that fixing this should be a separate bug report and patch. I'll
try to look at it.

Thanks for the feedback. Attached v3 with further documentation updates.

--
Fabien.
Attachment