Re: Patch to document base64 encoding - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Fabien COELHO
Subject Re: Patch to document base64 encoding
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hello Karl,

>> It really works in research papers: "Theorem X can be proven by
>> applying Proposition Y. See Figure 2 for details. Algorithm Z
>> describes whatever, which is listed in Table W..."
>
> I've not thought about it before but I suppose the difference is between
> declarative and descriptive, the latter being more inviting and better
> allows for flow between sentences. Otherwise you're writing in bullet
> points.  So it is a question of balance between specification and
> narration. In regular prose you're always going to see the "the" unless
> the sentence starts with the name.  The trouble is that we can't start
> sentences with function names because of capitalization confusion.

Sure. For me "Function" would work as a title on its name, as in "Sir
Samuel", "Doctor Frankenstein", "Mister Bean", "Professor Layton"...
"Function sqrt" and solves the casing issue on the function name which is
better not capitalized.

--
Fabien.