Re: [HACKERS] Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Remove pgbench "progress" testpending solution of its timing is (fwd) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Fabien COELHO
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Remove pgbench "progress" testpending solution of its timing is (fwd)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hello Heikki,

Indeed, yet again, I forgot the attachement:-(

>> I stared at the new test case for a while, and I must say it looks very
>> cryptic. It's not exactly this patch's fault - all the pgbench tests are
>> cryptic -
>
> Perl is cryptic. Regexprs are cryptic.
>
>> but I think we need to do something about that before adding any more
>> tests. I'm not sure what exactly, but I'd like them to be more like
>> pg_regress tests, where you have an expected output and you compare it with
>> the actual output. I realize that's not easy, because there are a lot of
>> varying numbers in the output, but we've got to do something.
>>
>> As a good first step, I wish the pgbench() function used named arguments.
>> [...]
>>
>> You would have something like this:
>>
>> my $elapsed = pgbench(
>>  test_name => 'pgbench progress',
>>  opts => '-T 2 -P 1 -l --aggregate-interval=1'
>
> I do not like them much in perl because it changes the code significantly,
> but why not. That would be another patch anyway.
>
> A lighter but efficient option would be to add a few comments on the larger
> calls, see attached.

Please really find the attachement, and do not hesitate to share spare
a few grey cells so that I will not forget about them in the futur:-)

--
Fabien.
Attachment