Re: csv format for psql - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Fabien COELHO
Subject Re: csv format for psql
Date
List pgsql-hackers
>> recordsep in the unaligned mode doesn't play the role of a line ending
>> because the last line is not finished by recordsep. According to the source
>> code, this is intended, see print_unaligned_text() in print.c:
>
> Something else comes to mind: CSV allows linefeeds inside fields, and
> we don't want to replace these with record separators.

Sure.

> So the notion that recordsep can be used to choose line endings
> is even less okay than if there was just the last line issue.

I'm not following. ISTM that the escaping macanism would work in pretty
all reasonable cases, although it might be possible to shot oneself in the
foot by setting manually strange values for recordsep, eg '"'. I do not
see that as a significant issue. If the user asks for something stupid,
they get something stupid, fine.

--
Fabien.