Re: csv format for psql - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Fabien COELHO
Subject Re: csv format for psql
Date
List pgsql-hackers
>> I.e. really generate some csv from the data in just one option, not many.
>>
>> But this is obviously debatable.
>
> I suspect we'll get requests for an all-JSON option, HTML tables,
> etc., assuming we don't have them already.

I would definitely be fine with --html (which indeed already exists) &
--json (which does not, but could some day) as long options.

> I'm hoping we can have that all in one framework.

ISTM that it is more or less the case if an option simply presets a bunch
of existing table output options which is an existing framework.

> I get that setting each of tuples_only, fieldsep, recordsep, etc.
> might be a bit of a lift for some users, but it's not clear how we'd
> make a sane default that made choices among those correct for enough
> users. For example, do we know that we want tuples_only behavior by
> default? A lot of people's CSV tools assume a header row.

If there is a possible disagreement on one option, then let it out and use
the corresponding short option if needed?

Tuple only:

   psql --csv -t -c 'TABLE foo' -o foo.csv

With title headers:

   psql --csv    -c 'TABLE foo' -o foo.csv