Re: make check For Extensions - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Fabien COELHO
Subject Re: make check For Extensions
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Andres said during the unconference last month that there was a way to
> get `make check` to work with PGXS. The idea is that it would initialize
> a temporary cluster, start it on an open port, install an extension, and
> run the extension's test suite. I think the pg_regress --temp-install,
> maybe? I poked through the PGXS makefiles, and although it looks like
> there *might* be something like this for in-core contrib extensions, but
> not for externally-distributed extensions.
>
> Is there something I could add to my extension Makefiles so that `make
> check` or `make test` will do a pre-install test on a temporary cluster?

My 0.02€: It is expected to work, more or less, see the end of

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.3/static/extend-pgxs.html

It invokes "psql" which is expected to work directly. Note that there is
no temporary installation, it is tested against the installed and running
postgres. Maybe having the ability to create a temporary installation, as
you suggest, would be a nice extension.

--
Fabien.