Re: pgbench progress report improvements - split 3 v2 - A - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Fabien COELHO
Subject Re: pgbench progress report improvements - split 3 v2 - A
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> pgbench already offers two schedules of "pgbench --initialize" messaging,
> message-per-100k-rows and message-per-5s.  A user too picky to find
> satisfaction in either option can filter the messages through grep, sed et al.
> We patched pgbench on two occasions during the 9.3 cycle to arrive at that
> status quo.  Had I participated, I may well have voted for something like your
> proposal over "pgbench --quiet".  Now that we've released --quiet, a proposal
> for an additional message schedule option needs to depict a clear and
> convincing step forward.  This proposal does not rise to that level.

The "step forward" is to have the same options apply to *both* modes,
instead of options for one mode (default 100k or --quiet 5s), and a
convenient --progress (adjustable seconds) for the other.

It is "convincing" to me because I hate commands with non orthogonal
options, as I'm sure not to notice that one option is for one mode and the
other for another, and to get caught by it.

But this is clearly a matter of design & taste.

--
Fabien.