Re: List traffic - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Marc G. Fournier
Subject Re: List traffic
Date
Re: List traffic
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, 11 May 2010, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Simon Riggs wrote:
>>
>> Traffic on the PostgreSQL lists is very high now and I freely admit that
>> reading every email is simply not possible for me, even the ones that
>> mention topics that keyword searches tell me are of potential interest.
>>
>> If anybody knows of a bug or suspected bug in my code, I have no problem
>> in being copied in on mails so that I can see the issues exist. I do not
>> promise to respond to every mail I'm copied on, though, but it at least
>> helps me manage the fire hydrant.
>
> [ email only to hackers;  admin and general email lists removed ]
>
> I completely understand the problem of keeping up with the email lists.
> Because you are a committer, I hope you will be able to monitor
> post-commit feedback for patches you apply.  Other than that, I can
> collect bug reports related to your work and ask you to review a web
> page occasionally.  However, it is hard to do this during beta because
> the bugs usually need to be addressed quickly.

If list traffic, especially on -hackers, is getting so large, should we
look at maybe splitting it?  I could easily enough split things such that
I duplicate the subscriber list, so nobody would have to subscribe, but it
would make it easier for ppl to filter their incoming ... ?

Not sure where the split would be, mind you ... almost thinking about
patch review / discussions vs hashing out new features or something like
that ...

Just a thought ...
 ----
Marc G. Fournier                        Hub.Org Hosting Solutions S.A.
scrappy@hub.org                                     http://www.hub.org

Yahoo:yscrappy    Skype: hub.org    ICQ:7615664    MSN:scrappy@hub.org