Re: Remove Deprecated Exclusive Backup Mode - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andreas Karlsson
Subject Re: Remove Deprecated Exclusive Backup Mode
Date
Re: Remove Deprecated Exclusive Backup Mode  (David Steele <david@pgmasters.net>)
List pgsql-hackers
On 11/27/18 3:46 PM, Stephen Frost wrote:
> I'm concerned, seriously, that people don't have anywhere near the
> concern about the recovery side of things as they do about the backup
> side of things and that's really concerning.

I agree with your larger point, but in this case the two breakages do
not seem equal. As far as I gather the removal of recovery.conf will in
practice result in a longer downtime when your recovery scripts breaks
but not any data loss. While if we remove the exclusive backup mode then
some people's backup scripts will break and if they do not properly
monitor their backups they risk data loss.

I think we should use more caution when data loss is at stake rather
than "just" downtime. So personally I am in favor of updating the manual
with warnings (right now it does not even say if exclusive or
non-exclusive is the default) and adding a deprecation warning when
people use the exclusive mode.

Best regards,
Andreas