Re: [GENERAL] Is there a shortage of postgresql skilled ops people - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Federico
Subject Re: [GENERAL] Is there a shortage of postgresql skilled ops people
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On 3/27/07, Oleg Bartunov <oleg@sai.msu.su> wrote:
> Marc,
> I forwarded your message to pgsql-advocacy list.
>
> The same situation in Russia ! I think, that the major problem here is
> lack of "official" training courses on PostgreSQL and certificates.
> "Official" mean something that was accepted by the PostgreSQL community.
> This is a real pity, since we (developers) are working on adding nice
> features, making porting popular software solutions to PostgreSQL easier,
> but there are no certified postgresql admins available on market.
> For example, I and Teodor last year participated in porting of very
> popular accounting enterprize solution from MS SQL to PostgreSQL and
> there are about 800,000 installations already, so in principle, we have
> big market, but people needed to be educated and certified, so company
> could decide to switch from MS SQL to PostgreSQL.
>
> Probably, it's time to sponsor our book-writers and other enthusiasts
> to write "PostgreSQL Administration handbook", which we (community) will
> accept, support and translate to different languages. I'm willing
> to contribute "Full Text Search" chapter, for example. AFAIK, we have enough
> people, already wrote PostgreSQL books. I like Corry's book, for example.
> I don't know how much it might costs, but I'm sure community has money for this.
>
> As for certificates, I see no real problem. We need to design nice
> certificate, translate to different languages, publish on www.postgresql and
> approve a list of people, who can sign certificate. We have many members of
> our community in different regions/countries, so this is not a problem.
>
> btw, probably, this project could be a nice introducing for PostgreSQL EU.

Hi Oleg,
I agree with your question.

I've just sent a message that question about the official
certification from postgresql.org on the advocacy list.

I hope that the european group can discuss about this important
question and eventually create an european relationship structure
(maybe at pgday ;) .

Regards
Federico