Re: WAL Archiving and base backup - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: WAL Archiving and base backup
Date
List pgsql-general
On 1/14/22 13:04, Daniel Westermann (DWE) wrote:
>> On 1/14/22 1:40 PM, Stephen Frost wrote:
>> snip]
>>> We shouldn't be trying to provide
>>> documentation around how to write a tool like pgbackrest, we should,
>>> instead, have a tool like pgbackrest in core with its own documentation,
>>> as most other RDBMS's do.
>
>> That's an excellent solution to this problem.
>
> While I know the reasons for not having something like pgbackrest in core, I think this is a major drawback for the
project.People coming from commercial systems are used to have that tooling included by default.

They are also used to paying a big whopping bill, which is why they go
looking for alternatives. So like most things is it a tradeoff, sweat
equity vs hard cash.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com